Morning Star

Morning Star Babies & Birth Stories

« Back to New Arrivals

Kenley Rae Jenkins

The week or so before delivery, I was the queen of pre-term labor. My body just wanted to contract. I went into the birth center with painful contractions that were timeable 2 1/2 minutes apart. Vicky checked and I was not dilated, 50% effaced, -3 station. I was sent home.

All throughout the week I had contractions that made me exhausted and sore. I was discouraged that I would not know when I was actually in labor since the pre-labor contractions were so close together.

I went in to the birth center for my 39 week appointment and found I was 2 cm dilated, 75% effaced, -1 station. That evening I had contractions that were not very timeable - nothing out of the ordinary for me. From 7 pm-11 pm the contractions were becoming more and more intense. My husband was timing them and they would be 7 minutes apart, then 2 minutes apart, then 20 seconds apart, then 3 minutes apart, etc. All over the board. We called the into the birth center, Rachel was on duty and she suggested to stop timing them, she said obviously my body is not doing labor the typical way (she was wise) She then would call me in an hour. She called at 12:30 am and listened to me over the phone going through a contraction and she told my husband that we need to come in right away.

The 30 minutes drive to the birth center that I have always dreaded actually soothed my contractions and we were questioning going back home.

We arrived and the contractions hit me again, I jumped in the birthing tub and was checked in at 6 cm dilated, 100% effaced and -1 station. What a relief I wasn't going to be sent home. I labored in the tub to Phillip Phillips music. My husband was phenomenal for supporting me with cold wash cloths, endless water supply, love and pep talks to get me through each contraction during the transition phase. Rachel was flawless at providing an environment where I can honestly say I did not have one ounce of fear that something may go wrong, never a thought that I may need a hospital. My body made this beautiful little girl in the last 40 weeks without me telling it to; all the organs are in place, toes, fingers are all perfect and I just knew that my body would deliver this baby without me telling it how to.

During the hardest part of transition, Rachel changed my playlist to worship music and sat next to me in prayer.

At about 5 am I was 10 cm and ready to push. I always envisioned this baby would be born as the sun was rising.

Kenley was born after about 45 minutes of pushing. As her body came out I reached down and pulled Kenley onto my chest. We did not know if she was a boy or a girl and I didn't even think to check right away. All I knew was she was perfect. My husband finally reminded me to check because it was driving him nuts!

After we were done with the after birth to-do's, my midwife gave the three of us some privacy when my husband prayed and dedicated our daughter to Jesus Christ. 4 hours later we were on our way home.

We had a rough few days with latching issues and sleepless nights due to that. But now Kenley is breastfeeding and we are adjusting well. My husband and I really do have the most amazing combination of the two of us in this child. 

« Back to New Arrivals